The identities of the doctors and nurses captured in this image are largely unknown – owning in part to the surgical masks obscuring some of their faces, and in part to the age of the photograph. According to Stanford Medical History Center curator Drew Bourn:
Two of the women who appear in this shot may have been Agnes Safley (married to Edward Burke Gould, graduated from the Stanford School of Nursing in 1908) and Clara Tuttle (also graduated from the Stanford School of Nursing in 1908; passed away in 1948). If Safely and Tuttle appear in this image, it is unclear which of the women they are.
Lane Hospital was built in 1882 by Levi Cooper Lane, MD, surgeon and founder of Cooper Medical College. In 1985 his wife, Pauline Lane, inaugurated Lane Hospital Training School for Nurses, which would officially become the Stanford School of Nursing in 1922 after Cooper Medical College became Stanford University School of Medicine.
This image is No. 1 of 6 in a series of images featuring women throughout medical history. The images are from Stanford Medical History Center’s Flickr photo stream.