Podcasts, Stanford News

Stanford's Sean Mackey discusses recent advances in pain research and treatment

painful_face011911.jpg

Chronic pain, which affects more than 70 million Americans, not only compromises patients and their families’ quality of life but also has important societal and economic impacts. Which is precisely why Stanford anesthesiologist Sean Mackey, MD, PhD, has made it his mission to develop better methods for predicting, preventing and alleviating pain.

In the latest 1:2:1 podcast, Mackey talks about how pain fundamentally alters the nervous system and about the latest advances in pain research and treatment. Mackey also discusses recent findings showing that intense passionate feelings of love can block pain in similar ways to painkillers and how this research could help individuals experiencing pain on a daily basis.

Previously: Love blocks pain, Stanford study shows, Image of the week: Your brain on love and Stanford research provides insight on pain, love
Photo by Scott Robinson

2 Responses to “ Stanford's Sean Mackey discusses recent advances in pain research and treatment ”

1. Jan Says:

I heartily disagree with the fact that love blocks pain. I have been in pain for twenty years. I have a loving spouse, a wonderful family, and a sweet little kitty. I love them all dearly, but it doesn’t help my pain in the slightest. Of course, without their love and support I might no longer be here

2. Yvonne Says:

Long ago a very wise PN expert explained to our South Florida support group that pleasurable impulses travel to the brain faster than pain does. There’s no doubt in my mind that doing anything pleasurable that distracts you, will diminish your pain temporarily. Sex, playing cards, socializing, etc. all seem to work. Watching TV does NOT, however, since it’s too passive an activity.