A boot camp for recovery

Earlier this spring, my colleague wrote about a group of Stanford organ transplant patients who created an informal exercise group to help with their recovery. Now, in an article made available online today, the San Francisco Chronicle has taken a closer look at the efforts of these "boot camp" participants and at the thoughts of their physician:

Dr. David Weill, medical director of the Stanford Lung and Heart-Lung Transplant Program, treats many of the patients who participate in boot camp. He applauds their efforts, noting that the hospital provides pulmonary rehab only for the first three months after a patient's lung transplant. After that, it's up to the patients to start their own exercise routines.

...

"In the past, I had modest expectations for transplant recipients," Weill added. "I don't have that anymore. I've seen several hundred patients, and I've seen them do the most amazing things: run races, ski, hike, climb mountains. I don't think there's anything they can't do."

Previously: Transplant patients organize a boot camp

Genetics
Sex biology redefined: Genes don’t indicate binary sexes

The scenario many of us learned in school is that two X chromosomes make someone female, and an X and a Y chromosome make someone male. These are simplistic ways of thinking about what is scientifically very complex.
Nutrition
Intermittent fasting: Fad or science-based diet?

Are the health-benefit claims from intermittent fasting backed up by scientific evidence? John Trepanowski, postdoctoral research fellow at the Stanford Prevention Research Center,weighs in.