Cheri Blauwet, former med student and elite athlete, shares her story

Explaining that there's a "story behind every application," the Association of American Medical Colleges website has a series of Q&As with people on their journey from med school applicant to student (and beyond). Among those featured is Cheri Blauwet, MD, a Stanford alum and Paralympian wheelchair racer, whose personal story is beyond compelling.  (At one time she was considered one of the world's most accomplished Paralympic athletes; as her website biography states, she considers sports a "platform through which she can promote disability rights and empowerment at an international level.")

I found three parts of her Q&A particularly interesting:

What led to your interest in medicine? Who or what inspired you?

As a child who had acquired spinal cord injury at 16 months of age, I began interacting with the health care system when I was very young.

From attending the pediatric SCI clinic as a toddler, to popping wheelies in my first wheelchair when I was 6, to having major orthopedic spine surgery when I was 12, I had already seen it all (good, bad, and ugly) by the time I was a teenager.

These interactions taught me what qualities I found valuable in my doctors. Most importantly, I began to observe that many physicians had a hard time understanding that simply because I was a young person with a spinal cord injury, I was not inherently sick or flawed...

How did you balance the demands of medical school and training as an elite athlete?

I’m not quite sure! It was certainly a tight schedule, but I often find that the busier I get, the more efficient I am... I was also fortunate to have the ability to take short leaves of absence from medical school when my larger events were approaching...

I also found that racing was tied so inextricably to my identity, that there was simply no way that I could be Cheri the Medical Student without also being Cheri the Athlete.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?

This year, I am one of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Chief Residents. I just went to check my mailbox and amongst all the clutter was a card from a patient that I took care of one month ago on my spinal cord injury rotation. It says “Doc, I can’t begin to thank you for the care you provided me.”

Also - breaking stereotypes. I LOVE breaking stereotypes. So, when people see me in the cafeteria and ask me how long I’ve been a patient, to which I reply, “actually, I’m one of the doctors here,” - that is a good day.

Photo of Blauwet in the 2005 Boston Marathon courtesy of cheriblauwet.com

Biomedical research
Stanford immunologist pushes field to shift its research focus from mice to humans

Much of what we know about the immune system comes from experiments conducted on mice.  But lab mice are not little human beings. The two species are separated by both physiology and  lifestyles. Stanford immunologist Mark Davis is calling on his colleagues to shift their research focus to people.