Applied Biotechnology, Health and Fitness, Stanford News, Videos

Researchers explain how “cooling glove” can improve exercise recovery and performance

Researchers explain how "cooling glove" can improve exercise recovery and performance

Have you ever heard of the “cooling glove?” It’s a rapid thermal exchange¬†device, developed more than a decade ago by Stanford biologists Dennis Grahn and Craig Heller, PhD, that takes advantage of specialized heat-transfer veins in the palms of hands to quickly lower the body’s core temperature. As a result, the device can dramatically improve exercise recovery and performance.

A Stanford Report story published today describes how the researchers’ efforts to devise a model for studying heat dissipation led to development of the cooling glove and explains the relationship between overheating and fatigue. In the above video, researchers demonstrate how the glove works and discuss how rapidly cooling one hand can allow athletes to reach their maximum athletic capabilities without using performance-enhancing drugs.

Versions of the glove are currently being used by the Stanford football and track and field teams, the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders and Manchester United.

Previously: Does HGH help or harm athletic performance?

One Response to “ Researchers explain how “cooling glove” can improve exercise recovery and performance ”

1. Mohamed Says:

Hi Loretta. Wonderful post. I am a firm believer that stsers causes illness or pain. The leg and back problem that I recently had, the very first thing I attributed it too was stsers. Stress from moving and driving two 14 hour days. My goal in life is to live a stsers free life. When you give up stsers ( its almost like an addiction, isn’t it) your life will be happier and fuller. When I find myself in a stsersing situation, I have to remind myself that I am causing the stsersed feeling. Me, no one else and I can control my feelings. If I am stsersed over something I know that continually putting those vibes out into the universe will only bring me more of the same. Once I realize what I am doing I consciously release my worry and stsers. I let it go. It feels so good.Thank you for your blog oh, and nice website