Autoimmune Disease, Nutrition, Pediatrics, Research

Chat with Stanford pediatric gastroenterologist on celiac disease research archived on Storify

Yesterday, Stanford pediatric gastroenterologist KT Park, MD, took questions about topics related to celiac disease and his latest research on screening for the condition as part of a Twitter chat hosted by the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA). Those who were unable to participate in the chat can review the conversation on the AGA Storify page.

Park started out the conversation with a number of interesting statistics about celiac disease and the gluten-free movement, including that celiac disease affects about 3 million Americans and that an estimated 1.4 million more are undiagnosed. He also noted that undiagnosed celiac disease is a public health concern because 70 percent of untreated patients have reduced bone mineral density, increasing osteoporosis risk.

As the conversation continued, Park discussed a recently published study (subscription required) he co-authored comparing the methods of screening adolescents who are either symptomatic or at high-risk for celiac disease to universal screening. The goal of the study was to determine if one approach proved better at preventing bone loss and non-traumatic hip and vertebral fractures in celiac patients. Park and colleagues’ findings showed screening only those at risk was more cost effective in preventing bone loss and fractures among patients with undiagnosed or subclinical disease. He also talked about gluten sensitivity and the growing popularity of the gluten-free diet. It’s worth taking a moment to read.

Previously: Join Stanford pediatric gastroenterologist for Twitter chat on celiac disease research, Living the gluten-free life, From frustration to foundation: Embracing a diagnosis of celiac disease and Gluten: The “new diet villain?”

3 Responses to “ Chat with Stanford pediatric gastroenterologist on celiac disease research archived on Storify ”

1. Delia Emms Says:

Hi
    I am so pleased you offered this question and answer service.
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago and got only slightly better on the GF diet.
    After several tests and hospital appointments I has my gallbladder removed
    because it was working at only 6% and they took it out two months ago.
    I feel better but still not 100% and struggle with back pain most days.
    Do you think the alcat test would be beneficial as I am really interested.
    My surgeon wants to do another ECG but I’m not sure what they are looking for.
    I am Completly GF at all times and am very strict regarding my GF lifestyle.
    However I still feel my health is not perfect and would be interested I any
    advise or tips or any feedback you can offer.
    So thank you in advance and please feel free to ask any questions you need
    and I will respond swiftly to you. I appreciate in advance your reaponce.
    Many thanks & kind regards
    Delia

2. Nilesh Says:

i am suffering from abdominal pain from last 7 months when i did my endoscopy 4 months ago doc found that i was suffering from hiatus hernia , peptic ulcer , Barret’s esophagus , gastraitis , deuodinitis. i have sever pain in abdomen , reflux , GERD. when i did my second endoscopy 15 days ago doc found Reflux esophagitis as well . i am taking sucralfate,rabeprazole with leosulphride.but having no progress.plz tell me what to do.

3. Shahrokh Says:

Hi;
    My blood igG= 96.2 & IgA=66, is this means that Heliobacter pylori is positive?, if yes what is the name of medicine? and is treatment necessary or not?

Regards,