A humorous look at how a background in science can help with parenting

Scientist-moms out there might enjoy this playful (tongue-in-cheek) Huffington Post essay on how having a science degree made the writer a better parent. I had to chuckle at Sarah Gilbert's list of how she's found uses for the sciences in her day-to-day life:

Physics: Knowing that my house will return to complete disorder immediately after I clean it, because entropy.

Biology: Knowing everything my baby ate by the contents of her diaper, because scat identification.

Neuro-psychology: Knowing that my toddler freaking out over sandwich crusts is just a phase, because frontal lobe development.

Statistics: Knowing that the chance of having a baby brother is 50/50 no matter what my mother-in-law thinks, because mutually exclusive events.

Astronomy: Knowing that the woman judging me by my yogurt-spattered shirt isn't the only thing in the universe, because cosmology.

Sex biology redefined: Genes don’t indicate binary sexes

The scenario many of us learned in school is that two X chromosomes make someone female, and an X and a Y chromosome make someone male. These are simplistic ways of thinking about what is scientifically very complex.