Medical Education, Medical Schools, Stanford Medicine Unplugged

Buzzwords in medical school

Buzzwords in medical school

SMS (“Stanford Medical School”) Unplugged was recently launched as a forum for students to chronicle their experiences in medical school. The student-penned entries appear on Scope once a week; the entire blog series can be found in the SMS Unplugged category.

Learning in medical school often feels like learning a completely new language. There are numerous acronyms (OPQRST, CAGE, etc.) and molecules (IL-1, TGF-beta, etc.) and more. But most striking to me are two particularly ubiquitous buzzwords: “high-yield” and “protected time.”

I feel like I heard both these terms – and particularly the former – thrown around every single week of this past school year. “High-yield” has been used to refer to, as you might guess, the material that yields the highest amount of gain – i.e. for us students, it’s the material that’s going to show up on our tests. This term pervades not only conversations among classmates but also study materials. First Aid – one of the main Step 1 book resources – takes pains to highlight “high-yield” concepts, and Pathoma – another Step 1 resource – goes even further, identifying ideas that are not just “high-yield” but also “highEST-yield.”

This idea of focusing on “high-yield’ concepts bothered me at first and continues to bother me a little bit today, largely because my classmates and I often determine for ourselves what is “high-yield” and what is “low-yield,” dedicating our study time to the former and ignoring the latter. The worst part is that we may be ignoring information that may be “low-yield” in the context of exams but actually “high-yield” in the context of patient care. The flip side of this is that we only have a certain number of hours in the day; perhaps it makes sense for us to be judicious about what we focus our attention on?

Another phrase that has been widespread in medical school is the term “protected time.” I started hearing this during the very first week of medical school, when we had part of our afternoon off for “protected study time.” Later in the year, I attended a panel featuring five pediatricians. The question of work-life balance came up, and one of the doctors mentioned that she carved out “protected time” to be with her 2-year-old daughter every evening between 5 and 7 PM. This statement was met with general appreciation but also minor panic. There are so many aspects of our life that deserve “protected time” – family, friends, time for creativity, and more – and yet, again, there are only 24 hours in a day. Where does “protected time” start and end? And what does it include? And is it really reasonable to expect “protected time” when there are so many patient -care demands for physicians to navigate?

As I’m about to enter my second year of medical school, some of my questions remain unanswered. How can my classmates and I make sure to learn medicine well enough and thoroughly enough that we can both meet and exceed expectations in patient care? Is identifying “high-yield” material an ineffective, shortsighted approach? And how do we identify what falls under “protected time”? Here’s hoping I figure out this tentative balance during this upcoming year!

Hamsika Chandrasekar just finished her first year at Stanford’s medical school. She has an interest in medical education and pediatrics.

From August 11-25, Scope will be on a limited publishing schedule. During that time, you may also notice a delay in comment moderation. We’ll return to our regular schedule on August 25.)

One Response to “ Buzzwords in medical school ”

1. David Fuller Says:

Having been in the space operations business for over 35 years, I can sympathize with the information overload that comes with any new endeavor. When I join a new project/program, most of my cognitive efforts for the first few weeks is learning the jargon. What’s particularly difficult is relearning an acronym that for years meant one thing, but in a new project means the opposite concept.