Finally, a way to fix broken enzymes

I've been interested in Daria Mochly-Rosen's research into a mutation that messes up alcohol processing for personal reasons. If I imbibe more than a sip of spirits (really, just a sip!) I get slammed with a headache within the hour. I've been hoping she'll come up with a cure.
When I talked with her about her latest publication on the mutation, published online yesterday in Nature Structural Biology, she swept away my wine-tasting daydreams with the real news. The new study (registration required), done with Tom Hurley and colleagues at Indiana University, and Che-Hong Chen at Stanford, not only explains more about fixing the mutation, but reveals a way to fix broken enzymes. In this case, they use a small helper molecule that props up the enzyme's floppy bits.

That sounded pretty cool but I didn't realize how cool until Mochly-Rosen, MD, PhD, explained: Scientists have been trying to find a way to fix broken enzymes for decades. When enzymes don't work, the result is often illness. In fact, some of Mochly-Rosen's research suggests that people who lack normal activity of this alcohol-processing enzyme would be more prone to heart failure. Drugs that fix enzymes would be very, very useful.

But as for my hopes of becoming a wine connoisseur, I can forget about it. The mutation is largely restricted to people of Asian descent--and I'm not Asian. So any drug spin-off from her findings is unlikely to work on me.

More about the research is in today's Inside Stanford Medicine.

Biomedical research
Looking for love in all the wrong hormones

Researchers have found that oxytocin, commonly known as the "love hormone" may not be crucial for the social behaviors it's known for.