- Never smoked or quit more than a year ago.
- A healthy body mass index (BMI), an estimate of body fat determined by a formula using weight and height.
- Physical activity, and the more the better. The new measure says at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise is necessary for ideal health, or 75 minutes weekly of vigorous physical activity.
- Blood pressure below 120/80.
- Fasting blood glucose less than 100 milligrams/deciliter, a fasting measure of blood sugar level.
- Total cholesterol of less than 200 milligrams/deciliter.
- Eating a healthy diet...
The article goes on to say that the AHA hopes the factors will reduce deaths from cardiovascular-related diseases and strokes by 20% by the year 2020. More on what the association calls "Life's Simple 7" can be found here.