"Organic" doesn’t necessarily mean "good for you"

cheese puffs.jpg

As my one-year-old happily munched on her yogurt rice crisp bar the other morning, it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't completely sure what I was feeding her. The box of bars had landed in my shopping cart a few days earlier when a few comforting words - "organic," "whole grain," and "brown rice" among them - jumped out at me, but now I was second-guessing myself. Sure, the bars were organic - but did that mean they were a healthy treat for my daughter? Was I wrong to assume "organic" translates to "good for you?"

Consumer Reports' Erin Gudeux has a nice take on this very topic in a recent Health Blog entry. The focus of her concern isn't a yogurt bar, but instead organic cheese puffs, about which she wonders how "a combination of mainly corn, fat, salt, and powdered cheese [could] be considered good for you just because it has that word on its label." She discusses studies showing that people often think organic foods are healthier and lower-calorie than they really are, and she goes on to say:

...Yes, I want my foods to be lower in pesticides. And I value the benefits of organic farming for farm workers and the environment. But I should be able to leave that out of the equation when judging whether a food should be a part of my family’s diet. Organic garbage is still garbage.

It probably isn't fair to equate my daughter's little bars (which, upon further investigation, actually are a pretty good snack) with the lowly cheese puff. But it's never a bad thing to be reminded of the importance of reading labels and not being blinded by what Gudeux calls "the 'organic' halo." And I might consider adopting her new shopping habits:

I now cover up the word “organic” when looking at a package, and focus instead on the item itself, trying to judge whether I should feed this to my family at all. That decision comes first-organic can enter the conversation later. Organic sugar still has calories. Organic oil still has fat. A cheese puff is a cheese puff -eating an organic one should still be considered an indulgence.

Photo by the_moog

Biomedical research
Looking for love in all the wrong hormones

Researchers have found that oxytocin, commonly known as the "love hormone" may not be crucial for the social behaviors it's known for.