The "rock star" work of Stanford's Karl Deisseroth

Stanford's Karl Deisseroth, MD, PhD, a pioneer in the field of optogenetics, has a fan in medical writer Carey Goldberg. After attending the Next Frontier Conference in Boston today, the CommonHealth blogger wrote:

...Said another attendee, “They really brought out all the rock stars of brain science.”

So call me a groupie, but I homed in on one particular scientist whose work I’ve admired from afar but never covered: Dr. Karl Deisseroth of Stanford. He leads work that many see as a real game-changer in brain science. His best summary: “The combination of genetics and optics to achieve gain and loss of function.” My best simplification: You engineer neurons so that, say, green light turns them on, red light turns them off. Green light: scared. Red light: Not scared any more.

Previously: Optogenetics: Offering new insights into brain disorders, Karl Deisseroth outlines optogenetics in Scientific American, Using light to better understand mental illness and Using unconventional therapies to troubleshoot the brain

Biomedical research
Looking for love in all the wrong hormones

Researchers have found that oxytocin, commonly known as the "love hormone" may not be crucial for the social behaviors it's known for.