In case you haven't seen the news, yesterday the Palo Alto City Council approved the rebuilding and expansion of Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. According to an article in the Stanford Report:
The Renewal Project will rebuild Stanford Hospital and expand Packard Children's Hospital to assure adequate capacity, meet state-mandated earthquake safety standards, and provide modern, technologically advanced hospital facilities. The project also includes replacement of outdated laboratory facilities at the Stanford School of Medicine and remodeling of Hoover Pavilion.
The article also mentions some of the project's highlights:
- Enlarged emergency department that serves both hospitals
- Additional 144 patient beds at Stanford Hospital & Clinics and 104 patient beds at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
- Improved patient safety, privacy and comfort through individual patient rooms
- Increased space for families to be with their children during treatment and recovery
- New surgical, diagnostic and treatment rooms at both hospitals
- Timely compliance with seismic safety regulations and other code requirements
More details are available from the Medical Center Renewal Project website.