Rating my diet: in which I take the Eat Real Quiz, with thought-provoking results

Back when I was in college, I drove my mother crazy whenever midterms and finals approached. I'd call her when I got mired in studying and wail, "I don't know anything! I'm going to fail!"

My parents were glad I was studying hard, but my mom eventually got tired of talking me down out of my pre-exam tree. One spring after my transcript arrived, showing my usual excellent grades, she made me sign a piece of paper that said, "I did fine." After that, she photocopied it and mailed me a copy every term.

I'm telling this embarrassing story for two reasons: One, in spite of my anxiety about exam preparation, I've always liked taking tests. Those quizzes in magazines? I am a total sucker. So, as soon as I learned about the Eat Real Quiz on the Food Day website, I was keen to take it. Two, I discovered by taking the quiz that I STILL WANT AN A, DAGNABBIT.

Food Day is coming on Oct. 24, and the Eat Real Quiz is designed to raise awareness of the value of a healthy diet centered around fruits, vegetables and whole foods. You enter your servings per week for several categories of food; the scores reflect the positive or negative impact of each type of food on your health, the environment and animal welfare.

I eagerly clicked through the questions. I should get a great score, I thought - I have a PhD in nutrition and my mom inculcated healthy eating habits. I answered all the questions and clicked on Grand Total. 73. It was only a B. (Cue the "Wah waaaah" trombone now.)

Scanning back over the scores for each category, I saw an obvious culprit: seven servings per week of refined-grain products such as "white" pasta and rice. That gave me seven negative health points, more than enough to tip me from an A to a B. Could my choice of noodles really be so bad? After all, I also eat at least a serving a day of whole-grain foods, meeting the USDA dietary recommendation to "make half your grains whole" (.pdf).

After a few moments of stewing about the quiz's validity, I looked at the rest of my score and realized the real problem might be my cheese consumption (five servings per week, eight negative health points, plus a few negative points for the environment and animal welfare). But I love cheese; I'm not giving it up! Or maybe it's fruit juice - I don't drink much, but it gets counted with sugary junk and earns negative health points. Or maybe it's beef; my single serving per week earns me negative points in all categories.

Or maybe it's... my brain. Maybe I need to chill out and realize that "I did fine," that my overall diet is indeed pretty healthy, with the good stuff balancing out the not-so-good, and that the point of this quiz is to get people thinking about what they eat. In my case, it worked. Maybe I'll even cook brown rice a little more often, who knows?

I encourage you to try it, too - and feel free to comment below if you learn anything surprising.

Previously: Americans still falling short of national nutritional guidelines, Can a food-tracking app help promote healthy eating habits? and Goodbye, pyramid: USDA unveils MyPlate
Via Center for Science in the Public Interest
Photo by Tesseract84

Biomedical research
Looking for love in all the wrong hormones

Researchers have found that oxytocin, commonly known as the "love hormone" may not be crucial for the social behaviors it's known for.