CDC: More U.S. adults need to get recommended vaccinations

Shortly before being discharged after giving birth to my second daughter, a hospital nurse glanced at my chart and asked if I was up to date on my vaccinations. I couldn't remember having gotten a tetanus shot as an adult, I told her, so I probably did need one. ("Will it hurt?" I asked as she approached my arm with the needle, and she just laughed. Not compared to having a baby was her - totally accurate - answer.)

If it wasn't for this attentive nurse, I probably wouldn't be up to date on my DTaP - which is why I wasn't at all surprised to hear of a new CDC report on non-influenza vaccination coverage among adults. According to the report, a large chunk of Americans fail to get recommended vaccines. In 2011, just over 64 percent of adults aged 19–49 years had received a tetanus vaccination in the last 10 years, for example. And only around 16 percent of adults over the age of 60 reported having gotten a herpes zoster vaccination to prevent shingles - something that is recommended for this group by the CDC.

Calling the vaccination coverage levels among adults "unacceptably low," the report goes on to outline components of a successful vaccine program that could boost these rates.

Previously: Failure to vaccinate linked to pertussis deaths and The cost of forgoing routine vaccinations
Via @DrFriedenCDC
Photo by blakespot

Biomedical research
Stanford immunologist pushes field to shift its research focus from mice to humans

Much of what we know about the immune system comes from experiments conducted on mice.  But lab mice are not little human beings. The two species are separated by both physiology and  lifestyles. Stanford immunologist Mark Davis is calling on his colleagues to shift their research focus to people.