Image of the Week: School of medicine faculty member captures beauty in Stanford's backyard

Calif Coast 3 birds_resized560

When I sat down to write last week's story on the School of Medicine's art exhibit, I thought the most difficult aspect of the piece would be weaving six different interviews into one coherent story. I was wrong. The most difficult task was choosing just one photo to accompany the story. Happily, I discovered a loophole that allows me to show you two images related to this one story.

The image above was taken by one of the artists featured in the exhibit at Stanford's Li Ka Shing Center for Learning and Knowledge. Professor Matthew Scott, PhD, told me that these elegant seabirds are avocets and that the photo was taken "right here in Stanford's backyard, in the amazing Palo Alto Baylands."

Previously: Stanford’s School of Medicine Art Exhibit displays faculty’s artistic sideMore than shiny: Stanford’s new sculpture by Alyson Shotz and Image of the Week: Artful arches from Stanford’s Art Exhibit Extravaganza 2013
Photo by Matthew Scott, PhD

Biomedical research
Stanford immunologist pushes field to shift its research focus from mice to humans

Much of what we know about the immune system comes from experiments conducted on mice.  But lab mice are not little human beings. The two species are separated by both physiology and  lifestyles. Stanford immunologist Mark Davis is calling on his colleagues to shift their research focus to people.