Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford News, Transplants, Videos

A physician shares his story of being diagnosed with amyloidosis

Long before Kevin Anderson, MD, was diagnosed with amyloidosis, a disorder in which abnormal proteins build up in tissues and organs, his physical health began deteriorating. The most noticeable change was his increased difficulty in walking up the stairs to the hospital room where he practiced. In the above video, Anderson shares his story of working with Ron Witteles, MD, co-director of the Stanford Amyloid Center, to receive a heart transplant and get his health back on track.

Via Stanford Hospital & Clinics Facebook page
Previously: Survey shows Americans need a refresher course on heart health, Ask Stanford Med: Answers to your questions about heart health and cardiovascular research and Ask Stanford Med: Cardiologist Jennifer Tremmel responds to questions on women’s heart health

3 Responses to “ A physician shares his story of being diagnosed with amyloidosis ”

1. Pete Wirth Says:

My wife has cardiac amyloidosis. She is in complete remission. Thanks for making this video.

pete Wirth
    Syracuse, NY

2. Gaye Besnoy Says:

I was moved to tears reading Dr. Anderson’s story and I’m so happy he is doing well. My husband was diagnosed with systemic amyloidosis in May 2012 and we went to Stanford for a work up and met with Dr. Witteles and his amazing team. My husband’s situation, though, was not as favorable as Dr. Anderson’s and he passed away in July 2012. Harry’s heart, liver, kidneys, tongue and g.i. tract were all involved and, while he was put on a 3 medication regime, sadly the disease was rather aggressive and my husband lost his fight. Physician awareness and early diagnosis is the key to fighting this insidious disease. I’ve joined the Amyloidosis Awareness group on Facebook and I’ll be contacting the director of medical staff at a local hospital and ask her to arrange for a CME program about the disease.

My best to Dr. Anderson and his family.

Warmest regards.

3. Regina Says:

What type do you have.