Over the last five years, since Scope launched in 2009, we’ve published many holiday-themed posts. This year, we’re collecting the best of them in one place, and they include tips about eating well, exercising and managing stress during the holidays, as well as healthy ways to kick off your new year.
Eating healthy during the holidays
- Stanford nutrition expert discusses how to eat well while staying jolly: A Q&A with nutrition specialist Christopher Gardner, PhD with lots of helpful tips for eating healthy.
- Stanford nutritionist offers tips for eating healthy during the holidays: Another Q&A, this one with nutritionist Jo Ann Hattner, RD, focusing on mindful eating.
- Learning tools for mindful eating: Not a holiday post, but these tips from wellness advisor Patty McLucas on resensitizing your body to hunger and fullness cues are timely.
- Remedies for holiday heartburn: After you’re done with your meal, you may need some of the tips in this short post.
Managing holiday stress
- Six mindfulness tips to combat holiday stress: This posts list several tips for stress during many different holiday situations, from traveling to doing chores to relaxing on the couch.
- Health psychologist responds to questions on coping with holiday stress: A video with health psychologist Kelly McGonigal, PhD, as she answers reader-submitted questions about holiday stress.
- Ask Stanford Med: David Spiegel answers your questions on holiday stress and depression: The head of the Stanford Center for Stress and Health responded to reader;s questions.
- Managing headache disorders during the holidays: If you suffer from migraines or other chronic headaches, this post has helpful tips from Robert Cowan, MD, director of the Stanford Headache Clinic.
Starting the new year off right
- For a truly happy New Year, cultivate sustainable happiness: Clinical psychologist Laura Delizonna answers some questions about how to cultivate happiness and contentment.
- How learning weight-maintenance skills first can help you achieve New Year’s weight-loss goals: A Q&A with Stanford health psychologist Michaela Kiernan, PhD, about how learning to maintain weight first may help with long-term weight loss goals.
Other holiday themes
- Getting kids’ sleep back on track when traveling: A couple of tips for re-adjusting kids back to their regular sleep schedules after you return from your holiday travels.
- How to make alcoholics in recovery feel welcome this holiday season: A perspective for the holiday season that most people don’t think about.
- Basement floods, ski lifts, and Christmas cookies: Life lessons from winter break: A sweet post about remembering the important things in life during this hectic time of year.
Photo by starsandspirals