Pharmaceutical adventures in India

medication in IndiaIn the course of a recent trip to India, I developed some minor health problems and found myself doing what many locals do: consulting with a pharmacist. India’s cities are peppered with these modest little storefronts, some the size of a large closet, which sit along the street, the pharmacists stationed on a stool behind a counter awaiting customers.

The pharmacies are stocked floor-to-ceiling with a plethora of remedies for whatever ails the human body and spirit. My husband and I sought treatment for an affliction common both to travelers and local Indians, caused by contamination in food and water: diarrhea. Despite our best food precautions, we managed to contract a case of the runs after eating at a very elegant restaurant in Jaipur in the northern province of Rajasthan. When a dose of Lomotil did not prove entirely effective, we decided to turn to a pharmacist for advice, as my experience traveling abroad is that local practitioners often know best how to treat common local problems.

The pharmacist asked us several questions in perfect English: Did we have a fever? Any vomiting? Any stomach cramps? No to the first two, yes to the last. He radiated a sense of confidence. He then produced two sets of pills in silver and green packages. We were advised to take these twice a day. He also gave us an electrolyte replacement solution, to be mixed with purified water and consumed twice daily as well. The pills had names I did not recognize, so I largely took them on faith, explicitly following his directions. The total cost for both of us: the equivalent of $2.50.

“You actually behaved in many ways like a many locals would – like a person who doesn’t have easy access to a health-care provider,” Nomita Divi, program manager of the Stanford India Health Policy Initiative, told me recently when I related my experiences.

Divi took a group of Stanford students – one med student, one masters and two undergraduates – to India for 8 weeks this summer to study this very phenomenon: the role of pharmacists in healthcare delivery in India, where a dire shortage of physicians, particularly primary care physicians, severely limits access to care. These pharmacists often serve as first-line providers, she said. Some have formal training, but many do not and operate on the basis of experience, as the students observed this summer, she said.

They dispense a wide variety of drugs, some branded, some generic. There is a higher-level category – generic drugs branded by well-known companies – which consumers may pay a bit more for, as they view them as more reliable, she said. Often no prescription is required. And costs are a fraction of pharmaceutical costs here in the United States.

Within two days of treatment, I was cured of my gastrointestinal distress. On my return home, I did further research on the medications I’d taken and found they were part of a standard regimen for diarrhea: an antibiotic in the same class as Cipro, which is commonly dispensed here, and an anti-cramping agent.

Buoyed by that success, I visited a pharmacy in Udaipur on another occasion when I discovered that I had foolishly forgotten to bring enough medication to treat my thyroid condition. After a brief panic, I stopped by a pharmacy to see if, by chance, it might carry thyroid pills. The pharmacist asked me my dosage level, then handed over bottle of 100 pills, which cost me $2. In this country, I would have paid $57 for the same supply (had I not had health insurance).

Divi told me my experience seemed to be a “textbook example” of what the students documented on how Indians look to pharmacists for guidance on routine medical problems.

“It’s great that you got [to experience] first hand what a lot of the population experiences,” she told me.

Previously: Stanford journalist returns to old post in India – and finds health care still lagging and Stanford India Health Policy Initiative fellows are in Mumbai – come follow along
Photo by Beth Duff-Brown

Biomedical research
Looking for love in all the wrong hormones

Researchers have found that oxytocin, commonly known as the "love hormone" may not be crucial for the social behaviors it's known for.