Debunking a labor myth

Last spring, when Stanford researcher Douglas Owens, MD, mentioned to me an upcoming study on the risks of labor induction, I took an immediate (and personal) interest. I was six months pregnant at the time and already knew that my labor would be induced; I also knew that induction was associated with a slight increase in the risk for c-section delivery. Or, I thought I knew. As it turns out, this isn't necessarily the case: the research by Owens and colleagues shows it's possible to induce labor without raising c-section rates. The findings, which were music to my ears back then, appear in the current issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, and my colleague Erin Digitale does a great job reporting on them here. As for me, I had no complications with my induction, but I'm thrilled this information is out there for other women in my shoes.

Careers
Microaggressions in medical training: Understanding, and addressing, the problem

As a third-year medical student, Luisa Valenzuela Riveros, MD, was eager to begin participating in hospital rounds. But, as she told the audience at a Diversity and Inclusion Forum held Friday at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, one of her early case presentations didn’t go at all as she had hoped.
Nutrition
Busting myths about milk

Stanford nutrition scientist Christopher Gardner discusses the many forms of milk and addresses the biggest misconceptions.