Debunking a labor myth

Last spring, when Stanford researcher Douglas Owens, MD, mentioned to me an upcoming study on the risks of labor induction, I took an immediate (and personal) interest. I was six months pregnant at the time and already knew that my labor would be induced; I also knew that induction was associated with a slight increase in the risk for c-section delivery. Or, I thought I knew. As it turns out, this isn't necessarily the case: the research by Owens and colleagues shows it's possible to induce labor without raising c-section rates. The findings, which were music to my ears back then, appear in the current issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, and my colleague Erin Digitale does a great job reporting on them here. As for me, I had no complications with my induction, but I'm thrilled this information is out there for other women in my shoes.

Biomedical research
Stanford immunologist pushes field to shift its research focus from mice to humans

Much of what we know about the immune system comes from experiments conducted on mice.  But lab mice are not little human beings. The two species are separated by both physiology and  lifestyles. Stanford immunologist Mark Davis is calling on his colleagues to shift their research focus to people.